Brookfield Asset Management Inc. is a leading global alternative asset manager focused on property, renewable energy, infrastructure and private equity, with over $250 billion of assets under management.
Based in Toronto and New York, we have over a 100 year history as an owner and operator of real assets, offering a range of public and private investment products and services which leverage our expertise and experience. We have more than 700 investment professionals and 55,000 operating employees working in 30 countries around the world. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE, TSX and Euronext Amsterdam.
Under the supervision of the Chief Internal Auditor, BAM, the Vice President, Audit (“VP”) will be responsible for providing Internal Audit services to BAM’s Renewable Power business group (“BRG”). As a senior resource of Brookfield’s Internal Audit group (“IA”), the Vice President will also be responsible for ensuring Internal Audit enhances and protects BRG’s value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, advice and insight. The VP will work closely with the Chief Internal Auditor, BAM and BRG’s senior management to provide value added services.
The VP will be responsible for the delivery of IA’s service streams, Internal Audit, Management Assurance and Advisory, and Conduct and Ethics, to for BRG. Key responsibilities include, but not limited to, the following:
- Conducts annual risk assessment based on BRG’s Enterprise Risk Management program, input from management, external auditors and external factors for the development of the annual audit plan;
- Continually monitors and updates the risk assessment keeping abreast of significant risk and control issues, trends and developments
- Lead the execution of the annual risk-based audit plan for evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of governance, risk management and control processes (financial, operational, information technology and regulatory) in place to manage significant risk exposures;
- Scheduling, assigning auditors and providing supervision of fieldwork, and reviewing of working papers and draft audit reports, ensuring compliance with IA’s audit methodology
- Liaising with other assurance providers
- Reporting audit findings to senior management and BAM Chief Internal Auditor
- Supervise special projects executed at the specific request of management, to report on aspects of the control environment (assurance) and to provide guidance on the design or implementation of governance, risk management and control processes (advisory);
- Oversee and or conduct investigations into whistleblower allegations of fraud or misconduct;
- Manage and oversee auditors’ performance, providing training and staff development, and ensuring right mix of skills are in place to execute audit projects, including co-sourcing with external subject matter experts when necessary;
- Liaising with regional IA leads and overseeing all Internal Audit, Management Assurance and Advisory and Conduct and Ethics work performed regionally; and
- Prepare presentations and other materials for audit committees and participating in audit committee meetings as required.
This position offers excellent opportunities in a dynamic environment for an individual with a “hands-on” approach. To qualify, candidates must have:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with a public accounting firm and 6 years of corporate industry experience with emphasis on financial and operational controls;
- At least 3-4 years’ experience in a senior audit position;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting finance, business or related field;
- Relevant professional qualification such as CPA or CA;
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designations are considered an asset;
- Experience working in a lean environment and hybrid resourcing models (internal and co-sourcing); and
- Experience in Power generation sector, or regulated industry, is highly preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of auditing practices, procedures and principles, sufficient to interpret and analyze complex concepts and apply these in innovative ways, including the use of data analytics;
- Good organizational, planning and project management skills, with the ability to drive multiple projects concurrently and to bring simplicity to processes in order to increase efficiency and productivity;
- Skills and knowledge should include an extensive understanding of financial, operational, IT and regulatory risks, and knowledge of IFRS;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with experience interacting and presenting to senior management level personnel through , “jargon-free” communications;
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to resolve conflict in order to achieve objectives;
- Ability to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to solve complex problems, maintaining close attention to detail without losing sight of the bigger picture;
- Self-motivated and proactive, with respect to both managing workload and professional development;
- Ability to not only understand the “letter of the law” but have the ability to develop action plans and make recommendations to business leaders that are insightful and add value to the business; and
- Ability to build strong professional relationships with Corporate and business group management through providing a value-added service.