Brookfield Asset Management Inc. (BAM), focus on property, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity, has $285 billion of assets under management and is listed on the New York, Toronto and Euronext stock exchanges.
With over 100 years of experience owning, operating and investing in high quality assets around the world, Brookfield has established best-in-class operating platforms that set it apart as an asset manager due to a singular focus on performance and value creation. Brookfield sponsors and manages funds, investment strategies and mandates on behalf of institutional clients totaling over $100 billion. Headquartered in Toronto and New York, Brookfield has offices on five continents with a team of 750 investment professionals and over 80,000 operating employees.
The Director, Audit will be responsible for providing Internal Audit services to BAM’s Renewable Power business group (“BRG”). As a senior resource of Brookfield’s Internal Audit group (“IA”), the Director will also be responsible for ensuring Internal Audit enhances and protects BRG’s value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, advice and insight. The Director will work closely with Toronto and Regional Internal Audit teams and BRG’s senior management to provide value-added services.
The Director will be responsible for the delivery of IA’s service streams, Internal Audit, Management Assurance and Advisory, and Conduct and Ethics for BRG. Key responsibilities include, but not limited to, the following:
- Support the development of annual risk assessment based on BRG’s Enterprise Risk Management program, input from management, external auditors and external factors for the development of the annual audit plan;
- Continually monitor and update the risk assessment keeping abreast of significant risk and control issues, trends and developments
- Along with the SVP, lead the execution of the annual risk-based audit plan for evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of governance, risk management and control processes (financial, operational, information technology and regulatory) in place to manage significant risk exposures;
- Scheduling, assigning auditors and providing supervision of fieldwork, and reviewing of working papers and draft audit reports, ensuring compliance with IA’s audit methodology
- Liaising with other assurance providers
- Reporting audit findings to senior management and BAM Chief Internal Auditor
- Plan and conduct investigations into whistleblower allegations of fraud or misconduct;
- Manage and oversee auditors’ performance, providing training and staff development, and ensuring right mix of skills are in place to execute audit projects, including co-sourcing with external subject matter experts when necessary;
- Liaise with regional IA leads and supervising all
- Participate in preparation of presentations and other materials for audit committees
This position offers excellent opportunities in a dynamic environment for an individual with a “hands-on” approach. To qualify, candidates must have:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience with a mix of public accounting firm and corporate industry experience with emphasis on financial and operational controls;
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting finance, business or related field;
- Relevant professional qualification such as CPA or CA;
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) designations are considered an asset;
- Experience working in a lean environment and hybrid resourcing models (internal and co-sourcing); and
- Experience in Power generation sector, or regulated industry, is preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of auditing practices, procedures and principles, sufficient to interpret and analyze complex concepts and apply these in innovative ways;
- Skills and knowledge should include an extensive understanding of financial, operational, IT and regulatory risks, and knowledge of IFRS;
- Good organizational, planning and project management skills, with the ability to drive multiple projects concurrently and to bring simplicity to the processes in enhance productivity;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with experience interacting and presenting to senior management level personnel through, “jargon-free” communications;
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to resolve conflict in order to achieve objectives;
- Ability to and maintain close attention to detail without losing sight of the bigger picture;
- Self-motivated and proactive, with respect to both managing workload and professional development;
- Ability to not only understand the “letter of the law” but have the ability to develop action plans and make recommendations to business leaders that are insightful and add value to the business; and
- Ability to build strong professional relationships with Corporate and business group management through providing a value-added service.