Brookfield Asset Management (“Brookfield”) (www.brookfield.com) is seeking a Law Clerk to perform various transactional, operational and corporate matters. The position will be located in Toronto.
Brookfield is a global alternative asset manager with ~$265 billion in assets under management. We have over a 100-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on real estate, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity. Our assets are held through a growing portfolio of private funds and public, listed entities. We are proud of our track record for achieving strong risk-adjusted returns for our clients, partners and shareholders across all market conditions. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE, TSX and Euronext Amsterdam.
The Law Clerk will work closely with the rest of the Corporate legal team, including company counsel, the corporate secretary and other law clerks. In addition to corporate work, the Law Clerk will assist on securities and corporate governance matters for public companies within Brookfield’s Corporate Group.
- Responsible for all corporate matters
- Formation and dissolution of entities
- Maintain minute books and corporate entity database from formation through to dissolution
- Corporate annual report /return filings in Canada and U.S. and drafting minutes/resolutions for private companies
- Draft annual resolutions for U.S. and Canada companies
- Foreign U.S. qualifications and Canadian extra-provincial registrations
- Organizational resolutions and bylaws and LLC operating agreements
- Perform various corporate searches and perform various corporate on-line registrationsPerform Canadian securities regulatory filings for public companies on SEDAR, EDGAR and TSX
- Draft and/or review legal documents and resolutions to support acquisitions, dispositions, financings, and corporate and tax restructuring matters; liaise with internal legal counsel and outside counsel and Brookfield tax groups; prepare officer certificates and notarial certificates
- Document flows of funds, including capital contributions, dividends, returns of capital and distributions; document transfers of interests; implement changes to director and officer slates; draft special approvals; maintain organization charts, etc.
- Assist in preparing public company Board and Committee meeting materials, including the preparation of notices, agendas and resolutions, distribute meeting materials, prepare minutes, etc.
- Assist with corporate disclosure, compliance and regulatory filings
- Assist treasury team with bank account opening and KYC requests and requirements
- Diploma from a recognized Ontario Law Clerk program certified with The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (or qualifying legal experience with an outstanding performance record)
- 8-10 years of experience as a corporate law clerk working in a law firm or in-house legal department of large public company
- Strong knowledge and experience with SEDI, SEDAR, EDGAR and TSX filings
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
- Strong computer-related skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio and corporate legal records software/database
- Familiarity with various Canadian and provincial corporate registry on-line and paper filings and searches and U.S. Secretary of State business entity searches and filings
- Ability to provide timely and accurate responses to inquiries from outside counsel, internal legal counsel, tax departments, draft correspondence, and miscellaneous administrative duties and record-keeping
- Strong ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks, function with minimal supervision, and prioritize workload
- Excellent interpersonal skills for working with a wide range of constituencies in a polite and professional manner
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as in a group with other legal and tax colleagues
This position would be suitable for those candidates who meet the position requirements and who thrive in a performance-driven environment that emphasizes employee leadership and accountability for delivering results.